The Bronx Zoo is truly an impressive place to visit. Throughout the 265 acres of exhibits and wildlife habitats, you will be pleased to see that Zoo is clean and well maintained and that the animals are well cared for.
I, and one-hundred twenty students, visited the park on a school field trip. Warning – even the most energetic of visitors will find a day at the Bronx Zoo exhausting — there are just so many exhibits to see and so much ground to cover. Spend some time on The Bronx Zoo Website before going.
Our trip was focused on the sea lions and the southern part of the park.
This blog has a guest photographer my grandson Daniel who, to my delight, photographed all of the following:
The Zoo is surprisingly easy to get to by express bus from Manhattan.
- Bronx Zoo Buses/Subways: BxM11 express bus stops along Madison Avenue, between 26th and 99th Streets, then travels directly to the Zoo’s Bronx River entrance (Gate B); 2 or 5 subway to East Tremont Ave/West Farms Square
- Bronx Zoo Directions: Bus, Subway, MetroNorth and Driving Directions
Bronx Zoo Admission:
- $16 for Adults
- $12 for Children 3-12
- $14 for Seniors (65+)
- Free for Children under 3
- Free for Members
- Pay-What-You-Wish Admission on Wednesdays
- There are additional $3-5 charges for “Special Rides and Attractions,” though you can purchase a Total Experience ticket for $29.95 Adult/$19.95 Child/$24.95 Senior which includes unlimited access to these add-ons.
- Special Rides & Attractions include: 4-D Theater, Bug Carousel, Butterfly Garden, Children’s Zoo, Congo Gorilla Forest, JungleWorld, Wild Asia Monorail, and the Zoo Shuttle.
Bronx Zoo Hours:
- Summer Hours: (April 3 – November 1) 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., 5:30 p.m. on weekends and holidays
- Winter Hours: (November 2 – April 2) 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- The zoo is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Martin Luther King Day.
- Last admission sold 30 minutes before closing
- Because of its size, the Bronx Zoo has several “main” entrances — if you’re meeting friends or family at the zoo, confirm ahead of time which entrance you’ll be using.